Parents who host lose the most!!
    Don't be a party to teenage drinking.  It's against the law.
    Underage Drinking Laws
    What parents should know:
    - As a parent, you cannot give alcohol to your teen's friends under the age of 21 under any circumstance, even in your own home, even with their parent's permission.
    - You cannot knowingly allow a person under 21, other than your own child, to remain in your home or on your property while consuming or possessing alcohol.
    If you break the law:
    - You can face a maximum sentence of one year in jail and/or a $1000.00 fine.
    - Others can sue you if you give alcohol to anyone under 21 and they, in turn, hurt someone, hurt themselves or damage property.
    - Officers can take any alcohol, money or property used in committing the offense.
    Things you can do as a parent:
    - Refuse to supply alcohol to children other than your own in your home or on your property.
    - Be at home when your teen has a party.
    - Make sure that alcohol is not brought into your home by your teen's friends.
    - Talk to other parents about not providing alcohol at other events your child will be attending.
    - Create alcohol-free opportunities and activities in your home so teens will feel welcome.
    - Report underage drinking by calling the anonymous, toll-free hotline at 1-866-UNDER21.

    New York Penal Law

    In addition to civil liability which may be imposed on an adult who serves or causes a minor to be served intoxicating liquors, that adult also faces criminal charges under New York Penal Law section 260.20(4).

    A person is guilty of unlawfully dealing with a child when:
    4. He gives or sells or causes to be given or sold any alcoholic beverages, as defined by section 3 of the alcohol beverage control law, to a person less than twenty-one years old; except that this subdivision does not apply to the parent of guardian of such a person.

    Unlawfully dealing with a child is a Class B misdemeanor. Class B misdemeanors carry a possible penalty of up to 90 days in prison and/or a fine of up to $500.

    Alcoholic Beverage Control Law
    1. Alcoholic Beverage Control Law 65-b(1)(c)
    A court may impose a One Hundred ($100.00) dollar fine and/or community service and or require the completion of an alcohol awareness program on any person who attempts to obtain alcohol with fraudulent proof of age.
    2. Alcoholic Beverage Control Law 65-b(3)
    A court may suspend a person's drivers license for ninety (90) days if the license is altered to attempt to purchase alcohol.
    3. Alcoholic Beverage Control Law 65-c
    A person under the age of twenty-one who possesses an alcoholic beverage with the intent to consume such beverage will be subject to $50.00 fine. In addition, the alcohol may be confiscated by a police officer or a peace officer.
    Report illegal purchase or consumption of alcoholic beverages by minors by dialing 1-866-UNDER21.
Last Modified on December 15, 2008