Data Security and Privacy
Technology is an integral part of the teaching and learning experience in the Barker Central School District. The ever-increasing availability of online teaching and learning resources comes with inherent risks and concerns regarding student data, privacy, and student work. The District has a responsibility to ensure that student's data and privacy are adequately protected while using any online digital resource for school work. The Barker Central School District is providing the following information/resources for parents, teachers, and the community so that they can better understand what student data is, how student data is collected and used, and the law and practices that the district adheres to in order to protect student data and privacy.
Parent and Staff Information
- What is student data?
- A Parent's Guide to Student Data Privacy (FERPA)
- Protecting Student Privacy 101
The Barker Central School District oversees a wide range of information about students. The District manages personally identifiable information (PII) about students in accordance with the federal laws known as FERPA and COPPA. More information regarding federal and state laws, district policies and guidelines that address technology use and student data privacy are listed below.
New York State Data Privacy and Security
Education Law §2-d went into effect in April 2014. The focus of the statue was to foster privacy and security of personally identifiable information (PII) of students and certain PII related to classroom teachers and principals.
Although the proposed regulations largely restate the requirements of Education Law §2-d, there are new elements, including the adoption by the New York State Education Department of a data security and privacy standard, as was required by the statue.
Federal and State Laws that Impact Technology Use and Student Privacy
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
- Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA)
- Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA)
- Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA)
Barker Central School District Policies and Guidelines for Student Data and Security
- Policy 7243: Student Data Breaches
- Policy 7315: Student Use of Computerized Information Resources (Acceptable Use Policy)
- Policy 5672: Information Security Breach and Notification
- Policy 5676: Privacy and Security for Student Data and Teacher and Principal Data
- Pratt Elementary School and Barker Jr./Sr. High School Code of Conducts
- National Center for Educational Services: Privacy Technical Assistance Center (PTAC)
- K12 Cyber Security Resource Center
- K12 Privacy & Security Blueprint
If you have any questions or concerns regarding Data Privacy and Security, please contact Dr. Jacob L. Reimer, Superintendent and Data Protection Officer (DPO), 1628 Quaker Rd., Barker, NY 14012, email@example.com, 716-795-3110.